You can apply for divorce if:
- you have been married at least a year and your relationship has permanently broken down
- your marriage is legally recognised in the UK, and you have a permanent home in England or Wales.
There are 3 main areas to consider in getting divorced:
- the formal separation – the divorce itself, the starting point
- the financial settlement – who is going to get what, a complex part of separation
- child care arrangements - who will look after the children.
This guide is adapted from public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0. The licence can be found at the National Archives.